Care At the Right Location (CARL)
The Care At the Right Location (CARL) Tool is an evidence-based, decision support tool designed to improve inpatient next site of care decisions and transition patients to the optimal next care setting.
- CARL is embedded in Episode Connect with reporting capability.
- Developed to be used concurrently with typical, inpatient discharge planning workflows.
- Designed to highlight the patient information domains necessary to support informed discharge discussions and to select the appropriate NSOC.
- Case Management should use CARL as a framework that outlines a standard baseline of information they need for discharge discussions.
- The CARL algorithm takes the input info and generates a proposed next site of care; the results of CARL’s proposed NSOC should be considered in Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) rounds to promote discussion.
CARL is organized into three domains designed to evaluate the patient’s post-acute needs and identify the optimal next site of care.
|Domain||Definition||Example Assessment Areas|
|1. Independence||Assesses patient independence and caregiver availability from PT, nursing and care management entries||Ambulatory Status, Cognitive Status, Ability to Perform ADLS. Capable Caregiver Available|
|2. Therapies||Major therapies recommended for the patient in the post-acute phase||Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy|
|3. Skilled Nursing Services||Post-acute care needs and services that a patient may require||Venipuncture and injectable medications, IV Medications, Oxygen and respiratory support, Teaching and Training|
Evaluation of Remedy Partners Discharge Decision Support Tool